Speakers Series / Crosstalk
• May 6th: listen to CBC Radio’s CrossTalk for a show centered on the incredible aviation history of Newfoundland and Labrador, including the daring flight by Alcock & Brown. Guests Michael Deal and Gary Hebbard are a wealth of knowledge on aviation history.
To listen online, visit – www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-89-cross-talk
• May 16th: Group Captain Anthony J. Hamilton Alcock MBE, RAF(Retired), nephew of John Alcock will be speaking about his family tree, aviation career, and the courage and bravery involved in Alcock & Brown’s historic flight which took place 100 years ago.
Location: Memorial’s School of Music, Suncor Energy Hall
• May 27th: Join Tony Curtis, at a public lecture, who is the Author of “This Flight Tonight” – a book about the first transatlantic flight in 1919 by Alcock & Brown.
Location: Theatre at The Rooms
Field to Flight at The Annex
This new exhibit celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Transatlantic Air Race. The exhibit highlights some of the major players of a historic race, Mount Pearl’s connection, and stories from the perspective of Margaret Carter. Located at the Annex beside Admiralty House Communications Museum. For more information visit: admiraltymuseum.ca
Commemorative Print and Stamp Unveil
We will be unveiling a limited-edition silkscreen print and associate stamp artwork by renowned local artist, Grant Boland on May 16th. Tony Alcock will be doing the unveil while he is here with the speaker’s series. Pop up banner with speakers-series sponsor will be on hand.
To see Grant Boland’s work visit –
Spirit of Adventure School Essay Contest
We are asking students to write about what inspiration they took away from the Alcock and Brown story and how they think it will impact their own spirit of adventure and innovation going forward. Winner will be chosen on September 10th!
Aviation Tour at The Rooms
Discover some of the gems in the collections at The Rooms. Take a self-guided tour and find the mailbag carried on the flight by Alcock and Brown, the Marquette for the Alcock and Brown Memorial at the Manchester Airport and a large collection of Alcock and Brown related photographs.
COPA 97: Quidi Vidi Flyers
Time: 11:00 am – 3:00 pm
Aviation Fun for Everyone! A static aircraft display held at Quidi Vidi Lake by COPA 97.
Come see Floatplanes & Helicopters in a stationary display at the lake to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Alcock and Brown’s first non-stop transatlantic flight.
Alternate Weather Date: Sunday, June 9th, 2019
Downtown Festival - George Street Association
• June 12th: The festival starts with an opening reception with business and community leaders and the launch of YellowBelly’s Alcock and Brown commemorative craft beer at Loose Tie.
• June 13th: Time: 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
There will be an all ages outdoor concert with music, special readings and a sample of the commemorative stage performance on George Street.
• June 16th: Opening night of the historic stage production which will run through August. This performance is written and performed by theatre company Spirit of Newfoundland Productions, and will be an entertaining musical interpretation of the Alcock and Brown story and Newfoundland and Labrador’s aviation history with the local flavor of the flying competition.
Air Cadet Speak Off Award
Grand prize will be presented to the winner of the Air Cadet speak-off, and participation mementos given to all the top 11 Air Cadets from regional speak-offs.
Commemorative PAL Airlines - Shell Flight
Sponsored by PAL airlines & Shell Aviation, a flight will leave the terminal with 50 passengers to retrace the flight path of A&B over St. John’s and the narrows. Plane will be decaled with the centennial Alcock & Brown images. This will be preceded with a reception at the PAL hanger.
1:30pm – 4:00pm
St. John’s City Hall
This is a public reception sponsored by the City of St. John’s overlapping with the exact time Alcock and Brown would have taken off. All members of the air cadet league will be in attendance.
The Aviators Ball
St. John’s Convention Centre
Join us for a centennial celebration Aviators Ball at the St. John’s Convention Centre celebrating the 100 year Anniversary of Alcock & Brown’s transatlantic flight. This black-tie celebration will host National and local industry leaders, aviation enthusiasts and business leaders.
It’s an event you won’t want to miss!
Dress: Black Tie with Decorations (Medals)
Historic Stage Production - Spirit of Newfoundland
6:30 pm- 9:00 pm
A commissioned theatrical interpretation of the events leading up the June.14th 1919 flight and the historic significance of it.
Aviators Garden Party
Bannerman Park, 11:00 am -2:00 pm
This is an aviation themed family-friendly public festival. Welcoming all guests who have travelled to celebrate with us. There will be readings, music, mingling, entertainment for the whole family, and light fare.
Travel Photo, Stamp and Coin Exhibit
A portable display of unpublished photos of Alcock and Brown’s flight, as well as stamp and coin collections comprising of Alcock and Brown and aviation collections.
Future Forward youth Aviation Career Conference
Newfoundlanders and Labradoreans working in the aviation industry across the country and around the world will speak as role models, encouraging youth to consider a career in the aviation industry.
Commemorative Sculpture Grand Unveil
St. John’s International Airport
A grand unveil of a substantial monument to commemorate Alcock & Brown’s 100th Anniversary and the spirit of adventure.